- Jaguar is to build six brand new 'Lightweight' E-types - the 'missing' six Lightweights that were never built from the intended 18-car series
- The Jaguar brand's first ever 're-creation' project, the all-aluminum cars, will be assigned the six remaining chassis numbers which were originally allocated in 1963
- All six vehicles will be built as perfect reproductions and to the exact specifications of the original 12 cars first produced in 1963
- The first new Lightweight E-type will make its public debut later this summer. Further information will be released at that point
(MAHWAH, N.J.) - May 13, 2014 - Jaguar is to build six perfect reproductions of the original, race-bred Lightweight E-type that was created in 1963. The new cars are the 'missing' six vehicles from the brand's Lightweight E-type project, which originally started in February 1963 with the objective of building 18 'Special GT E-type Cars.'
Only 12 of the aluminum bodied Lightweight E-type vehicles were eventually built, the last in 1964, the remaining six designated chassis numbers having lain dormant, until now.
The new cars will be hand-built in-house by Jaguar's finest craftsmen. Each car will be constructed to the exact specifications of their original 1960s forebears - including the 3.8-litre straight-six engine.
The Lightweight carried approximately 114kg (250lb) less weight than a standard E-type, thanks to its all-aluminum body and engine block, a lack of interior trim and exterior chrome work and a host of further weight-saving features including lightweight, hand-operated side windows.
Jaguar expects a high demand for the six Lightweight E-types. Established Jaguar collectors, especially those with historic race car interests, will be prioritised amongst those potential customers who express interest.
For customer enquiries contact: Derek Weale: Tel +44 (0) 7764 377265
For Media enquiries contact: Matt Skelton: Tel +44 (0) 2476 564118
# # #
Jaguar is a premier manufacturer of luxury sedans and sports cars offering unparalleled design with tremendous performance. The company's vision throughout its storied history has been simple: To produce beautiful, fast cars that are desired the world over. Jaguar strives to provide a world class ownership experience to every owner. Today's Jaguar lineup consists of the XJ luxury sedan, XF sports sedan, the XK Coupe and Convertible sports cars and the two-seater F-TYPE. Jaguar designs, engineers and manufactures exclusively in the United Kingdom, at the Castle Bromwich manufacturing plant in the British Midlands. Jaguar is fully engaged with sustainability initiatives and social concerns with continuous involvement in environmental and community programs. For more information visit the official Jaguar website at http://www.jaguarusa.com.
About Jaguar Land Rover
• The United States is one of the leading global markets for both Jaguar and Land Rover
• Jaguar Land Rover employs 25,000 people and sells vehicles in 170 countries around the world
• Jaguar Land Rover has two state of the art engineering and design facilities and three advanced manufacturing plants in the UK
• Headquartered in Mahwah, New Jersey in the United States, Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC has offices across the USA
• Jaguar Land Rover is represented by more than 330 independently operated retail outletsin the USA